Jesus gave his followers the mission that they were supposed to execute until his return:
"Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you" (Matthew 28:19-20). This mission applies to every believer and every church.
Here at Bethel, we expresses that mission with the following statement:
We exist to worship God, grow in faith, and show the world who Jesus is.
Vision is about looking forward to the future. Here at Bethel, we believe that God is in charge of the future, and the best is yet to come! We, as God's people, get to partner in faith with His envisioned future. This is how we express the vision God has for our church:
We envision a Spirit filled, growing community of believers who love their city and are empowered to spread the good news of Jesus Christ throughout the world.
Core values are what we hold most dear as a community. They help frame all of our decisions, strategy and ministry design. At Bethel we have five core values:
1. Empowering Leadership: We empower our leaders who, in turn, empower others to do the ministry God has called them to do. (Matthew 20:25-28; Mark 10:42-45; Ephesians 4:12-13; 2 Timothy 4:5)
2. Spiritual Vitality: The power and presence of the Holy Spirit is at the centre of everything, as we lead people into growing relationships with Jesus Christ. (Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 2:4-5, 12:4-7; 2 Corinthians 3:18)
3. Prioritizing People: The Church is not a building or an organization; it is a community of people called to love and serve one another. We are in this together. (John 13:34-35; Romans 12:9-21; Hebrews 10:23-25; 1 Peter 4:8-11)
4. Strategic Partnerships: We build strategic partnerships locally and globally in order to strengthen our ministry and fulfill the Great Commission. (Acts 13:2-3; Romans 10:14-15; Philippians 1:3-8; Matthew 28:18-20)
5. Blessing our Community: God has called us to be a people of blessing who make the world a better place. We take every opportunity to serve sacrificially and practice radical generosity all for the glory of God. (Matthew 22:37-40; Luke 6:27-36; Genesis 12:2-3; Jeremiah 29:7)
Having a good strategy helps us practically live our our mission, vision and values. We currently have three strategic priorities to help us stay focussed on what is most important:
Invitational Culture: Having an invitational culture is all about practicing the hospitality of God. God has loved, welcomed and accepted us, so we love, welcome and accept others. Our ministries and programs are designed to be inclusive, creating opportunties for church members to invite outsiders into our community.
Holistic Life Groups: Life doesn't happen in rows. That means we can't become whole followers of Jesus just by just showing up on Sunday. Life groups provide an opportunity to discuss and apply the word of God. Our Life Groups are not just Bible studies. They provide care, study, celebration and serving opporunities.
Transformational Worship Experiences: We believe that God works in a special way when we are all gathered together for the purpose of worship. We endeavor to make our worship experiences (Sunday and otherwise) engaging, interesting, informative and inspirational time for all ages. We can't transform someone's life, but God can. We just provide the right environment to remove any barriers that hinder people from experiecing God's presence.
Next Generation Ministry: Kids hold a special place in God's kingdom. We intentionally invest extra resources on ministering to children, youth and young families.